Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The Parable of God and Randy in a (Perfectly) Dark Room

After writing up this morning's dream (1/15/19), and trying to settle into my morning's meditation, the following image and story came to me:

I am in a perfectly dark room.  Can't see nothing.  And I know that God is in here as well.  We can hear each other, but (of course) we can't see each other.  At least I can't see God.  It's an ongoing issue in this story if He can see me.  (For me, God is still a masculine entity, but I feel the tug to widen my visceral understanding as to who God "really" is.)

The room is littered with furniture.  Some of it is fairly tall, so I can reach out my hand and not crash into the hat rack or tall bookcase.  But some of it is low, and banging into it seems like something impossible to avoid.  It would be a good thing if we were to touch -- me and God, that is -- and we keep calling out to each other as each of us moves around: "Hey, I moved to over here.  Where are You now?"  Occasionally, the silence is broken by the sound of one of us running into some piece of furniture or other.  I tend to swear when that happens, because it's painful to kick a coffee table.  (I guess I'm barefoot or just wearing socks or something, because my toes are taking a beating.)

I kind of wish one or the other of us would simply stand still so that the other could move in a single direction -- towards the voice.  But for reasons not explained to me in the dream, that's not going to happen.   Each of us moves around in a rather random way.  

It occurs to me that my companion in this enterprise is God.  Now, I know that I can't see anything and am experiencing pain at every collision.  BUT what I don't know is whether God is equally blinded or whether He can see everything perfectly clearly.  And, for God-knows-what reason, He's simply running me through this exercise in frustration.  I might ask Him if that's the case, but don't feel that I could trust His answer.  

But I feel compelled to continue fumbling around in the dark asking the questions "Where are You now?"  Again and again.  

(I feel this is an image with which I was already acquainted.  Whether I had the same revelation years ago or whether I read it or someone told me about it, I don't know...)  

No comments:

Post a Comment