Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Bad Dreams 15 -- Morning of 12/30/18

In my dream, I am standing in a small country store.  It has a few groceries, notions, over-the-counter medications, and the like.  I want to buy a ballpoint pen.  That's all I need, but I need one pretty badly.  

I don't see any for sale on any of the shelves.  The store proprietor lady looks worried and apologetic.  She seems to know that it's perfectly reasonable to expect to find a pen in a store like hers.  And she knows she doesn't have one.

I think about asking to borrow a personal pen from her, but am reluctant to do so.  In part because I want a pen that I can take out of the store to use later and elsewhere and in part because I feel it will be embarrassing to her for me to ask.  

I notice there is a considerable section of stuff for sale that is Penn State University memorabilia: hats, banners, plates, and so forth.  And for a moment I'm enthusiastic about this, since certainly such a display will have a PSU ballpoint pen.  But as I look through the display, there are no pens to be had.  

I feel bad for the lady.  And I'm sorry I'm making her feel bad.  There are other people in the room, but no one offers me a pen.  

I recall that I had the same predicament recently, but managed to find a pen.  So I re-double my search efforts buoyed by this recollection.  Still no luck.  

By now, I think it's absolutely vital that I find a pen.

I notice a remarkable "toy" on one of the top shelves.  It sits still, but launches an endless stream of luminous disks in a straight line moving away from the toy itself.  A 1950's version of flying saucers.  As the disks move away, they grow fainter until they disappear completely.  This disappearing act takes about 4 or 5 feet to complete the vanishing act.  I place my hand in the path of the disks and intercept a couple of them.  It doesn't hurt my hand, but I look down into my hand to see fragments of the disks.  

The "toy" continues to launch the disks.  




No comments:

Post a Comment