Friday, January 18, 2019

Bad Dream 25 -- Morning of 1/18/19

I had at least two dreams last night -- dreams both of which I wrote down.  A long dream and a short dream.  I can't for the life of me find the paper on which I wrote down the long dream -- and feel I have to start considering that, rather than having the long dream per se, I dreamed that I was dreaming, woke up from the dream-within-a-dream, and then dreamed that I wrote down the dream-within-a-dream.  Eeek.

Or maybe I just misplaced the paper.  

Here's what I have about the short dream:

I am in a room with several other people.  Young adults.  There are desks/tables like you might find in a school lab here and there.  I'm standing (or sitting...) by myself, but looking at a small group of people.  One of the people reminds me of Sepp Gabelberger.  

"Sepp" has a plucked chicken in a tray in front of him.  He asks if anyone knows how to handle the "split plate" of the chicken.  (Or it may have been how to split the plate of a chicken.  My notes don't clarify this.)  By this, I assume he means the sternum of the bird.  And from where I am, I can see Sepp's knife resting on the middle of the bird's chest.  

I look more closely at what "Sepp" is about to do -- and that is to push what is obviously a dull knife into the breast of the chicken with his right hand while holding the bird still with his left.  The direction of the knife push lines up exactly with the position of "Sepp's" left hand.  And the problem there is that, if the knife slips in almost any direction, it will plunge unhindered into his left hand.  

I briefly consider letting the event unfold without saying anything, but decide I need to tell him and the people around him of the danger that his current hand orientation presents.  I move over to the tray and demonstrate a safer way to cut open the chicken, and several of the people in the group begin to giggle.  As in "I mean, really what difference does it make?"  

I also explain what Zinc told me years ago, that a dull knife is far more dangerous than a sharp one.  For several reasons.  You don't have to push a sharp knife nearly as hard as you do a dull one, so the chances of a dangerous slip are greatly reduced.  Then also, if you do cut yourself, the sharp knife will yield a smooth surface on both sides of the cut.  A dull knife more or less tears the skin, so that healing will take a lot longer.



No comments:

Post a Comment