Sunday, February 17, 2019

Bad Dream 37 -- Morning of 2/17/19

In my dream, I am playing tennis -- sort of -- with three other people:  one is reminiscent of Dennis Ralston,  one reminiscent of  Chris Evert, and the third is a shadowy person.

We're not on a real tennis court.  It's more of a large lawn -- slightly rolling -- but somehow reminiscent of the back yard at 1209.  I am serving the ball to no one in particular, just sort of practicing the toss-and-serve motions.  I consistently toss the ball too high -- by several feet -- and my serve motion is way out of ideal.  

Either Dennis or Chris -- I forget which -- looks at my grip on the racquet and identifies this as being the problem.  He/she tells me to rotate my hand on the grip to resolve the toss issue.  I don't see how this will help, since the problem areas are quite removed from the grip, but what do I know compared to this person?  I change my grip and continue trying to hit a serve, but come nowhere near striking the ball.  

The other pro looks at my grip and tells me to rotate my hand in the other direction.  Which I do.  With no success in serving.  

At some point in this process, Chris tells me to borrow her racquet.  Once again, I can't see why this might help, but I am flattered that I would be allowed to use Chris' racquet.  So I place my racquet on the ground in the grass -- which, by the way, is much too long to be the grass on a regulation grass court.  The thought flicks through my mind that the ball isn't going to bounce very high after hitting grass this long, but don't bother to bring this to anyone's attention.  

We decide that this is not making any progress and we should practice just rallying the ball back and forth.  Dennis and Chris are standing on one side of the "net" (which doesn't exist) and the shadowy person and I am on the other facing them.  I have the ball and strike is somewhat gently.  Much to my surprise, the ball leaps off the racquet and flies well past Chris and Dennis without bouncing and -- without losing any altitude -- sails over a (I think wooden) fence and well into the next yard.  The other three players are silent.  Clearly, it's my job to hike over there and retrieve the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment