Sunday, April 28, 2019

Bad Dream 71 -- Morning of 4/28/19

I missed capturing a extended dream this morning.  I think I had it until I rolled over in bed.  And poof.  Gone.

But after that, I had this "Word Dream":

The Voice of my Dream said something to "My Best Friend."  I'm not sure whether it was a voice telling Me that I was his/her/its Best Friend or whether I (that is, the "Now Me") was speaking to someone else.  But the words were "If I made a knife, I would make you one too."  

There was a response -- once again, not sure which end of the conversation was the Now Me -- expressing a surprise that ordinary people could make a knife.  Now, to be clear, we're talking about a folding kind of knife (as in Jackknife or Swiss Army) rather than a single blade like a dagger.  As I recall, my brother made several knives of the single-blade variety.  

What came to mind after this expression of surprise was the image of a catalog page with a variety of possible blades to be included, such as a large or small blade, scissors, screwdrivers, etc.  

There was a little bit attached after the above conversation.  Something about someone who looked like he came from India (or somewhere else where a man's complexion looked like that) who would not be allowed to have a knife.  Not because it would make him dangerous, just because he was Indian or whatever.

I knew this was wrong and felt bad about it, but knew I couldn't do anything about it.    

Analysis 
I've carried a pocket knife for years and found it most helpful again and again.  Almost always a Victorinox Swiss Army variety.  It's often a little bit of reassurance when I ask myself "Have you got your SAK with you?" and respond in the affirmative.  

As with a number of inanimate objects in my life, I feel some emotional attachment to my knife, as it is a problem solver when nothing else would do.  

I have lost or misplaced my SAK on a number of occasions; and on two or three occasions, I've had to surrender my knife to airport security folks because I forgot to pack it.  So I've had numerous individual knives throughout the years. 

I get the feeling there may be some wordplay involved here that I haven't yet deciphered...  

There could certainly be something Freudian going on here as well...  

The only two images I had in the dream were the page with knife optional blades (which might have been a computer display) and an image of a man with dark skin.  But not African-American.

No comments:

Post a Comment