Friday, March 22, 2019

Bad Dream 61 -- Morning of 3/20/19

Fragment of a dream:

Deb knits me a sweater.  I don't recall much about the sweater -- so the suggestion is that the dream "means" the knitting rather than the product of the knitting.

ANALYSIS:
The "aha" moment of the dream is supported by the fact that Deb doesn't knit but my mother did -- and was very good at it and would present knitted sweaters and other clothing items that she had made to family members.  

Superficially, the relationship between the two members of a marriage without  kids is pretty simple.  It's a partnership where you do these things and I do those things.  We share.  

But I think the dream was intended to help me see the complexity that lies close beneath that superficial surface.  For me, Deb is my best friend, my lover, my closest living relative, my business partner, my housemate and on and on.  And in each of those roles, I relate to her differently.  And act differently whether I know it or not.  

And the reverse is also true:

And the dream suggests that Deb is acting as my mother as well as my wife.  And since we don't have kids, she treats and takes care of me from time to time as if I were her son.  And other times when she treats me like I am her Dad (who passed away several decades ago).  Nothing at all strange or unusual here, but certainly something about which one should be aware.

So if there's useful information here, it would seem to be that I can be more aware of these constantly changing roles and that awareness will help me to respond more appropriately -- to my benefit, Deb's benefit, and the benefit of the relationship. 

And the next level down in the "lesson" of the dream is that the nature of these relationships are now and will continue to be constantly changing and enter new phases as our needs and wants for each other change -- so that awareness becomes increasingly important.    

No comments:

Post a Comment