Friday, June 7, 2024

Bad Dream 202 -- A Training Project Assignment

In my dream, I am working for a company that manufactures equipment for other manufacturing companies.  I am a bit younger and newer than my co-workers, but am accepted as fully competent and trustworthy.

Our company has recently sold a system to another manufacturer -- a system that they will use to produce their own products.  (This situation is quite similar to several major jobs I've had in my working career.)

I am walking through our plant with several co-workers, one of whom is explaining to me what my next assignment will be:  I am to visit our customer and help with the installation and start-up of the above mentioned system.  Specifically, our system uses our software that needs to be adjusted from time to time by the customer.  This is not an unusual situation, as the customer might be using our system to make small red widgets and later adjust the system to make large green widgets.   So the software needed to be changed to accommodate the switch.  

This project will probably take one or two weeks of my being on-site, and -- as mentioned above -- this extended away-from-home time was part and parcel of several jobs I held in real life.  The travel and away time was never a burden to me in my waking life and Deb was always supportive, which was a huge help.

So as we're walking through our plant, my co-worker is just filling me in on some details and making sure I was well prepared to get the job done as completely and quickly as possible.  He and I had visited this customer prior to the shipment of our system, so we knew the people we would be dealing with -- and we felt confident that they would learn our system fairly quickly and use it effectively.  

Late in our walk through our plant, we came across the company junkyard -- which contained bits and pieces of old equipment that was no longer usable and no one had gotten around to getting rid of.  My co-worker picked up several pieces one at a time and told a quick story as to what that piece was and why it either failed or simply was no longer needed or was made incorrectly.  The stories were interesting and compared nicely to the successful assignment on which I was about to embark.

It felt like a very good dream. 


No comments:

Post a Comment