Friday, February 12, 2021

Bad Dream 138 -- Morning of 2/12/21

 This is a "patchwork" recollection of images from what seems to have been parts of an extensive and multifaceted dream.  About musical instruments:

The first-part recollection is quite short.  I am trying to justify obtaining and playing a trumpet.  And I am telling myself, "Well, I can practice in the basement."  And the basement under consideration is the basement at 1209 Tupelo Place in Baltimore.  I think my concern here was playing badly while practicing my lessons and annoying other members of the household.  But at some level, I understand that being in the basement would not provide adequate sound insulation from the rest of the house.

The rest of the dream centers around building a case for the instrument of my choice -- which changes mid-dream back and forth between a clarinet and a flute.  I'm not sure whether this is a case for my instrument that I will keep to carry my instrument of choice or whether it's to hold if for someone else -- possibly for sale.  I am making the case out of plywood, of course, and it involves two halves that are hinged together.  At this point in the fabrication, it's still bare wood.  

In this process, which is being casually overseen by several Unidentifiables, the instrument changes from a clarinet to a flute.  I am holding the main body of the flute, which is in a clear plastic sleeve.  I understand this to be a new flute just coming out of that sleeve.  My image is of the flute body roughly half-way out of the sleeve, which is crumpled up around the still-encased portion of the plastic sleeve.  

At other times in the dream, I am placing sections of the clarinet (Your standard clarinet comes apart into four pieces: a bell, a mouthpiece, and two main body parts.) into the two halves of the case looking to determine the best way to allocate space and make the requisite padding.  This is turning into a serious issue, as there is no apparently easy way to do this fitting business.  At times, I see a considerable number of pieces -- all of which look like clarinet pieces, but I'm baffled as to why there are so many of them.  

At one point, I realize that the clarinet I've been working on has come equipped with a short stool, which is also nearby and also in pieces.  The pieces resemble a heavyweight music stand, but on wheels rather than a tripod or flat circular base.  I'm not sure whether I should or need to make arrangements in the case I'm building for the several pieces of the stool, but decide that would not be possible in the dimensions of the case that I've already constructed.

I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment