Saturday, June 10, 2023

Bad Dream 185 -- Where Is My Car... and

In my dream, I have finished with some project or obligation and am looking to find my car so I can drive home.  

I begin by looking up and down the street where I'm standing.  The street is a nice small-town kind of street lined by a few trees and a number of parked cars.  It reminds me of West Chester.  Traffic is light -- just a few cars passing by.  So it should have been easy to spot my car, if it were located on this street.  But I can't see it anywhere.  

The scene changes to a parking garage, and I'm pretty sure my car is located somewhere in here but can't recall a parking space number or a row location or even which level I parked on.  

I start on the lowest level, looking right and left, but quickly decide that my car isn't here.  I think there's an elevator somewhere in the garage, but decide to use the stairs to get to the next level up.  I'm concerned that, given the fact that I know so little about this garage, that the elevator could skip over one or more levels without my knowing about it.  And that could complicate the search a great deal.  

I am getting confused as to how many levels there are in this garage.  I get off the staircase from time to time to look at this level or that one.  Something tells me that there are only two or three levels, but every time I go back to the stairs that number seems to change.  Sometimes it goes up and sometimes down. 

On one occasion, I find another staircase. All metal and all painted green.  As I start climbing the stairs, I see that there are low gates installed across maybe every third or fourth step.  The gates are maybe knee high.  I can't imagine why anyone would install these, as they represent a challenge going up and a serious obstacle going down.  While I stand there trying to figure out what it is I'm looking at, a woman speaks up from behind me telling me to keep moving or get out of the way.  I allow her to move past me, and somehow, she manages to climb the stairs without any interference from the low gates.  

The scene changes again, and I find myself in a much larger stairway and as I move up or down (I forget which) I come across a young woman -- certainly not the one I met on the other stairway.  She is very slender and gives the impression of being under fed.  She looks like she's missed a considerable number of meals.  She also looks tired and cold -- clutching her light jacket closed.  I pass her by and continue to look for my car -- level after level.

Going down a staircase, I come across the same young woman, who is now accompanied by a young man.  Something tells me they are brother and sister.  But he looks quite healthy and well-fed.  She leans up against him seemingly for safety but also for warmth. But I understand that they are both essentially homeless and looking for a place to stay and a job for him.

I take out my wallet and find that I have two $20 bills and a couple of singles.  I'm tempted to give them all of my money, but I may need a 20 to get my car out of the garage and possibly fuel to drive home.  So I hand him a 20 and try to say something supportive.  He pockets the money without saying "Thank you" or any other acknowledgement.  But the young man's pride requires him to adopt a "We are getting along just fine.  We've only recently arrived in the US, and we're not settled yet, but where we are much better off here than where we've been."

I would like to provide additional assistance to the two of them, but the young man's attitude -- coupled with the fact that I still don't know where my car is -- suggest I should simply move on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment