Sunday, July 3, 2022

Bad Dream 167 -- Margot

In my dream, I'm sitting at a small table.  A little more sturdy than a card table, but roughly the same size.  I'm sitting across from a female person, who is likely Deb -- my wife -- but I'm not sure.  We're talking casually with spaces between bits of conversation.

I hear my name called from my left and above me.  A woman's voice saying, "Randy??"  It sounds very much as if she's surprised to see me.  Strong accent on the first syllable.  

I look off to my left and a bit up to see who's calling.  And the woman in question is leaning over so we are facing each other quite closely.  She smiles. She gives me a bit of time to recognize her -- which I can't do.  She puts on this "Aw shucks" mopey face to let me know she's disappointed that I couldn't recall who she is.  But there's humor underlying the mopeyness.  

She says, "Oh, so you've forgotten me."  More mopey face that's still being playful.  "I'm Margot."  Mopey face gone.

Now to the best of my recollection, I've only known one person named "Margot," and that was a girl in my classes back in High School.  (We were part of the "Advanced Program" -- being more academically inclined than most of the other students.  So we all took the same classes together.  And thereby got to be more familiar with each other than other students in other classes.)

And my recollection is that Margot was a pretty girl in a soft, subtle way -- unlike several other girls, whose clothes and attitude might best be described as "brassy."  But since she was in my classes, she would be in her 70's -- just like I am.  The woman I'm looking at -- who is now smiling broadly at me -- looks to be in her early 40's.  She's wearing a handsome tailored suit that makes her look she's just come from work.   

I don't recall anything about that Margot -- how she looked, how she spoke, the color of her hair, nothing.  [If I still had my High School Yearbook, I would have looked her up shortly after I awoke this morning, but alas...]  The lady I'm looking at has a very pleasant, warm face and a lovely smile.  She seems ever-so-glad to see me -- but whether or not this is the woman I went to High School with, I can't recall ever interacting with that Margot.  Not that I wouldn't have liked to, but I was quite shy in High School...

I return her big smile with one of my own.  This only makes her smile even wider.  Clearly I would love to spend time with this Margot -- whoever she is -- and get acquainted or reacquainted as the situation called for.  And it is abundantly clear to me that she would also like to spend time with me for the same things.

I take her hands in mine and am tempted to kiss her hands.  She understands this and responds positively.   

But I suddenly recall that I am sitting at the table across from this other person -- and we were chatting amicably before Margot showed up.  I feel that showing any signs of wanting to get better acquainted with Margot could make this other person understandably jealous.  And asking to be excused from our ongoing conversation so that I could spend time with Margot would likely be disastrous.   

After the dream is over and I'm up and moving about, I realize that one of the attractions of getting to know this Margot -- above and beyond the fact that she was an attractive, relatively young woman -- was that she had shown such a strong interest in reuniting with me.  She knew me.  And wanted to know more about me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment